Traders insurance is a type of cover for those who operate a motor trade business. There are many types of businesses that can benefit from getting a traders policy, including car showrooms, mechanics, auction houses, tyre fitters and MOT centres just to name a few.
Below is some key information about traders insurance, including types of cover and ways to save money.
Types of cover
- Road risks – This will enable you and your drivers to drive and transport customer/company vehicles and be covered for any accidents. You can choose from a third party only policy up to fully comprehensive.
- Public liability – It’s very important that you cover yourself for liability claims from members of the public when you run a motor trade business. Liability claims have become much more commonplace in recent years and they can often occur when you least expect it. You can have legal fees included in your policy too.
- Employer’s liability – You’re also able to get cover for claims from your employees included in a trader insurance policy.
- Combined cover – Combined insurance is a very useful type of cover for motor trade businesses. It will protect every aspect of your business from vehicles to your premises, stock, tools and cash.
There are certain criteria you must meet in order to take out a traders insurance policy. Some of the essential criteria are –
- You must be at least 21 years of age
- You must hold a full UK drivers licence
- You must be able to prove that you have a motor trade business
Ways to save money
- Get a lot of quotes – Getting quotes from a lot of different providers is one of the best ways to save money on traders insurance. Being able to easily compare quotes will enable you to make an informed decision on your cover.Traders-insurance.com Motor trade insurance is an excellent site to get traders insurance quote from specialist providers.
- Make your premises secure – Another good way to save money on traders insurance is to make your premises as secure as possible. Taking measures such as installing CCTV and security lights will help to deter thieves and vandals and therefore reduce the cost of your cover. You can also get blinds installed on windows and doors to make your premises more secure. Integral blinds for your doors in particular will help to improve security, so this is definitely a step worth taking.
- Hire good people – Hiring good staff is another excellent way to lower the cost of traders insurance.