If you’ve ever considered becoming an Uber driver then below is a handy guide to help you decide if it’s the right career move for you.
First let’s look at the pros and cons of the job.
- Flexibility – One of the big pros of being an Uber driver is that it gives you a huge amount of flexibility. You can choose to work as much or as little as you want. There are very few jobs that come with this level of flexibility and it’s something that many Uber drivers enjoy a lot about the job.
- Meet new people all the time – Another big pro of being an Uber driver is getting to meet new people all the time. Not everyone you meet will be friendly and want to chat but constantly meeting new people certainly prevents the job from becoming boring.
- Work for yourself – Although you have to maintain certain standards to continue working as an Uber driver, you don’t have a boss breathing down your neck while you’re working, which is a big bonus.
- Cost of insurance – However by using a service such as Multiquotetaxiinsurance.co.uk private hire insurance cover you can save money on Uber insurance by easily getting quotes from a range of different insurance providers.
- Can be dangerous – There’s no getting away from the fact that they’ll be times when you’ll have to pick up drunken/belligerent passengers. Such passengers can quite easily turn aggressive and it’s not unheard of for drivers to be attacked while on the job. To help prevent such incidents it’s highly recommended that you have in-car CCTV.
- Cost of maintenance – You also have to think about the cost of maintaining your car. Repair and petrol costs can be quite high when you’re on the road a lot and there’s new people constantly getting in and out of your cab.
If you decide that you do want to work as an Uber driver then there are certain requirements you’ll have to meet to quality. These include –
- Having your own vehicle – Uber do not provide their drivers with vehicles so you’ll need to have your own car in order to work as an Uber driver.
- Having your own insurance – When you work as an Uber driver you need to make sure you have a good insurance policy that covers you for the risks of the job. That’s why it’s important to get Uber Insurance from a reputable insurance provider.
- Be eligible to drive – You will of course need to be eligible to drive in order to work as an Uber driver. This means being at least 21 years of age and holding a full UK drivers licence as well as a private hire licence.